Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Holiday Favorites

When I was growing up, my family would gather together on Christmas Eve at my great Grandparents little house in Chester, PA. My great grandparents came over from Italy, Naples, just after the turn of the century when they were very young to start a new life in the New World. Cousins, aunts, uncles and family I rarely saw were all treated like best of friends. The kids would sneak down into the cellar and be overwhelmed by the giant oak barrels of wine all lined up. Little did I know how much I would appreciate that nectar later in life. Tables were lined from one end of the house to the other, all awaiting huge bowls of pasta and everyone ate until belt buckles had to be undone a notch or two. The tradition of gathering the family on Christmas Eve with my family continued long after they passed on however it was never the same.  The early years at their house is one of my favorite Christmas memories.

Over the years, I've gathered some additional Christmas favorites that I would like to share. By no means is this a conclusive list. There are many favorites that just barely didn't make the list. I love the holidays. I love the build-up, entertaining friends, buying gifts and seeing smiles on faces. Hopefully we can share some holiday experiences together sometime.
Favorite Stop Motion Animated Characters - Heat Miser and Cold Miser and the toys from the Island of  Misfit Toys. Yukon Cornelius and the Bumble are right up there too.
Favorite Songs - Santa Claus is Coming to Town by Bruce Springsteen (that's the Philly boy coming out in me), I Believe in Father Christmas by Emerson, Lake and Palmer and The Holly and the Ivy by George Winston.
Favorite Traditional Song - Carol of the Bells (rarely have I heard a bad version, with some of my favorites being by the Transiberian Orchestra, George Winston and a funky version by the Pointer Sisters).
Worst Christmas Song - The Shoes. Thankfully I have an iPod so I don't have to hear this sappy piece of crap!
Favorite Food - I love all types of food which is becoming abundantly evident in recent years :). My favorite at the holiday season is cranberry sauced meatballs. Yum! I've made these at parties for years and now that Dave knows the recipe, we're bound to have them for many years to come!
Favorite Drink - This is a tough one. Baily's with coffee and Sam Adam's Cranberry Lambic are the first two that come to mind. If you know a place that I can get SA Cranberry Lambic, please let me know!
Scent - Mulberry and Home for the Holidays from Yankee Candle. I love the clean, fresh smell.
Short Film - South Park's The Spirt of Christmas...."Holy shit! It's Jesus!"
Movie - I'm a sucker for a romantic comedy and in recent years the top spot goes to The Family Stone. Close seconds go to Love Actually and since I'm a child of the 80's, Scrooged with Bill Murry.
Woofiest Christmas Character - Kris Kringle when the red beard comes in. Grrrr.
Favorite Gift to Receive - the company of friends over a good beer or wine.
Favorite Gift to Give - This is tough - no blanket answer. I try to search out the best gift for each individual person and this happens all year long. I always give my dedication and love to friends and family. It doesn't always show, but I try to be there for them whenever its needed.
Worst Gift to Receive - Gift cards. While they are appropriate in some cases, where has all of the creativity gone?!
and finally, my favorite way to spend the holidays is relaxing with friends and family. Good food. Good drink and good friends. 

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season! Safe travels and take time to enjoy the company, the good food and the smiles on the little ones faces. Hopefully we can create some great Christmas memories for them for years to come.

1 comment:

Joe said...

YUM. Cranberry Sauced Meatballs sound SO GOOD.